Utah Tech women’s track prepares for WAC championship

Utah Tech University’s women’s track team at practice preparing for the WAC championship on Feb 24. Miki Akiyama | Sun News Daily

The Western Athletic Conference championship for men and women indoor track and field is Feb. 24-25 in Spokane, Washington. 

The championship will take place at The Podium located in the North Bank area of Riverfront Park, right next to Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena and the Spokane Convention Center. 

The Utah Tech women’s track team will be competing in the two-day championship along with 11 other universities. 

Kylie Bishop, sophomore criminal justice major from San Tan Valley, Arizona, said the WAC championship will be held over two days, and the second day is when finals are held for events that had a preliminary round. The finals will include the top athletes from the preliminary rounds. 

Bishop will be competing in the high jump. 

“I would like to go out and have a clean jump day and hope to jump 5’3″ or 5’5,” Bishop said. “The team hopes to go out and just do our best and come home with lots of personal bests to finish out the indoor season.”

Camilla Hamilton, a junior population health major from Tucson, Arizona, said she will be competing in the open 800. Hamilton said the team’s goal is to be competitive. 

“This is a time where you just need to go out there and compete with others,” Hamilton said. “We would love to see everyone go out there and run personal bests.”

Hamilton said she is focused on running the race she has been “mentally and physically” preparing for. She said she is hoping to complete a personal best in the 800 during the championship. 

Megan Jenkins, a freshman biomedical science major from Cedaredge, Colorado, said she will be competing in 400 meters, 60-meter hurdles and 4×400. It is her first year competing in the WAC championship. 

“The team hopes to drop some big times,” Jenkins said. “The distance girls have a very good chance at having some top finishers.”

Jenkins said this year her goal is to grow as an athlete.

“I am a freshman from a small town, so I haven’t had any exposure to big events,” Jenkins said. “I am really excited just to have [the] opportunity to be there with the team.”

After the WAC championship, track and field will continue outdoor with its first event March 10-11 at the Greater Zion Stadium