OPINION | From thrift store finds to profit: the ultimate side hustle

Thrifting clothes to resell is a great way to help the environment and make extra money. Lindsey Cozad | SunNewsDaily

With the overconsumption of fast-fashion at an all-time high, clothing that ends up in thrift stores needs to be resold to help combat environmental impacts. It also can turn into a great side hustle to make some extra cash.

Reselling clothing online has boomed in recent years as shopping sustainably and wearing vintage clothing is more popular than ever. Many people who donate to thrift stores have the hope their clothing can find a new home.

After reselling for years, I have figured out the best tips to make a difference in the fashion industry while being able to make reselling into a part-time job.

The fast-fashion industry is designed to create a profit for popular brands through current trends, celebrity influence and the changing of styles of clothing items through different seasons. However, the overconsumption and waste of clothing throughout the world is at an all-time high with over 92 million tons of clothing ending up in landfills throughout the world every year.

Apart from wasting resources, the fast-fashion industry is contributing to the number of microfibers in the ocean through fossil fuels as well as polluting every waterway with toxic dyes. As one of the largest sectors in the global economy, fashion is also accountable for driving climate change through its creation of 4% of all greenhouse gas emissions.

In order to help reduce this waste, reselling clothing is crucial in an attempt to even out the rate of clothing purchased to clothing being produced and combat the negative environmental impact clothing waste has on the environment.

Depop is my favorite resell app to use. It is easy to navigate, and it pays as soon as the item is shipped out to the buyer. The best part is shipping can be completely free. The only responsibility is to find clothing in a thrift store or closet that are in good condition and then list them on the app with pictures and a short description of the item.

Poshmark and Facebook Marketplace are also similar and popular platforms to resell on.

Here are my top three tips for maximum success in reselling.

Keep up with current, vintage fashion trends

In order to know what will sell the best, be the buyer as well. Take the time to browse the platform and see what other people are listing, liking and most interested in. This is a great way to make sure the items that are being sold align with the current trends.

List items at a reasonable price, and be open to offers

Although the goal is to make a profit off of reselling, the worst thing seller’s can do is list an item at a price that is more than what it is worth brand new or higher than someone else who is selling the same thing in the same condition.

If a potential buyer reaches out with an offer lower than what is originally expected, being open-minded and willing to compromise will allow the best chance at selling the item. However, remembering that reselling will still make more of a profit than throwing the item in the trash and contributing to the detrimental effects the fashion industry is doing helps make that compromise easier.

Remember reselling is bigger than selling an item of clothing

By choosing to resell clothing, you are not only giving clothing items another life, but you are also making a difference in the overconsumption of fast-fashion. Instead of that item collecting dust while sitting in a thrift store, closet or landfill, it can go to a new, loving home.

Having fun while reselling clothing and gaining a profit is a very rewarding feeling. Once you start building a good customer base, it becomes easier and easier to continually sell items quickly.

With this, there is no reason to not take a trip to your local thrift store and find some vintage second-hand items in your closet that deserve that second chance. Download a reselling platform today, do that spring closet clean-out, and see how far reselling can take you.