EDITORIAL | Keeping student journalism alive starts with Sun News

Lindsey Cozad | Sun News Daily

Student journalism is dying, and as members of Sun News Daily, we are doing everything we can to save it.

Unfortunately, this is not a very easy endeavor for us to accomplish. We push far past our comfort zones to build connections, we stay up until the early hours of morning to get our assignments done, and we feel underappreciated for the countless hours of work we put in. It’s the harsh reality of a student journalist’s job. 

But, that’s not to say we don’t love what we do. If we didn’t love it, we wouldn’t be here, and if we didn’t love our supporters, we wouldn’t be motivated. 

We find student journalism to be one of the most powerful ways for us to not only share our voices but also the voices of the student body.

Without our voices and the voices of others outside of our news organization, events wouldn’t be covered, stories wouldn’t be shared and the public wouldn’t be informed or engaged in the issues that affect our community. The diversity of perspectives and experiences we and other contributors bring to the table enriches the content we produce. 

As we strive to be a voice for Utah Tech University, we are continually aiming to push past our hardships to become the best student journalists we can be. The community can help us overcome many of these trials we face. 

We are not taken seriously, and our representation on campus is not where we wish it was. Because of this, it is hard for us to want to do our jobs when we feel people don’t appreciate the hard work we produce every day. 

We take our jobs seriously. We ask that as a result, others take us seriously too. 

As for our representation, not many people within our community know who we are and what we do. As we continually work toward elevating our presence and impact, we hope to break down the barriers between ourselves and the public we serve. 

We will always be working to get our name out there, and you can help us do that by subscribing to our newsletter, engaging with our content and being supportive of our news organization.

Despite the hardships we face, we still do what we do because it’s worth it. We enjoy the many benefits that come with being a student journalist and love the impact we’ve seen our content have on others. 

Joining this news organization has set us up for success. Not only do we have a strong resume builder, but we also have life-long connections, valuable experiences and enhanced skills needed to effectively and professionally communicate with others. 

But, why should we be the only one’s receiving these great benefits and opportunities? 

Everyone should be involved and aware of what is going on in our community and in the world. What better way to do this than by joining Sun News?

There’s a place and a purpose for everyone on the Sun News staff. With positions ranging from editors to photographers to reporters, students can utilize and learn many talents and receive the many benefits that come from being a student journalist.

Having a position in the news world can only increase one’s confidence and help them grow and improve no matter what career field they want to go into. The same can be said about anyone that joins Sun News. 

At the end of the day, we want people to know we are human too. We are still students attending school, working other jobs and trying to balance it all. We choose to be student journalists because we want to, and because we know how rewarding the experience is. 

We ask you take a moment to appreciate the hard work we and other student journalists put in every day. Whether you join the staff, read our content or like our posts, your support means the world to us and helps keep student journalism alive as we strive to save it from a world where it is no longer valued.

Remember, the future of student journalism is in our hands. Let’s work together to make sure it thrives for generations to come.