OPINION | SafeUT, Utah Tech Safe apps are underutilized

It’s important to be safe and prepared. The UT Safe app is there to help with any situation in which you may feel unsafe or simply need someone to chat to while you go to your car or walk home. Jenessa Walgren | Sun News Daily

When someone is in trouble and needs medical or emergency assistance, 911 is called. I would never pull out my phone, go to an app and wait for someone to reply or call an emergency number.

SafeUT is an app created by the University of Utah for students to use when they are having a mental health crisis or when there is an emergency. This generation of students is very app-centric when it comes to contact, but is an emergency app the best way to help those in need? The idea of having an emergency app sounds great but the reality is not.

When I downloaded the app last year, I was told I should always have the app on my phone in case of an emergency. I ended up deleting it to save more room on my phone because in an actual emergency, my fight-or-flight response would be to call 911. That’s what I have been taught since I was in elementary school.

This app is not necessary for students or the community. It seems more reliable and a better option to call an emergency number than to go through an app.

The app is not promoted enough at Utah Tech University for this app to be helpful for students.

There are three different apps for SafeUT. There is SafeUT for crises involving mental health and other education concerns. There is SafeUT Frontline for Utah law enforcement, fire and health care providers. There is also SafeUT National Guard which is for for Utah Air and Army National Guard members and their families to have access to licensed mental health professionals.

Overall, the SafeUT app is an alternative for submitting a tip to a school or getting in contact with a counselor.

While I was researching, I found the app Utah Tech Safe. This is an app created for students and the community to have safety and security. I have never heard of this app before, but this app is designed to be Utah Tech centered with numbers to local emergency contacts and other resources.

Both apps are not promoted enough at Utah Tech to be helpful for students. I was told about it during Trailblazer Connections, but after that, I have not seen one flyer, reminder or call to action about the app.

Utah Tech should be promoting this app more to students. Having classes or signs around campus can remind students that the app still exists.

For the safety of students, faculty, staff and community members, SafeUT and Utah Tech Safe are not essential resources to use. To avoid potential app glitches and possible confusion, it is best to use emergency phone numbers in times of emergencies.