Get ready, get pumped, get loud with the Stampede

The Stampede got the crowd riled up at the UT VS. FSA game Oct. 7. Stampede is always front in center in the stands and never fails to feed the crowd with positive energy. Cora Mark | Sun News Daily

Do you hear that cheering? The rumbling coming from the stands? That’s the Stampede.

Stampede is the branch of the Utah Tech University Student Association responsible for bringing fan energy to the Utah Tech University athletic events. They show their support by organizing a student section with one thing in mind: getting loud.

Stampede president Aidan Cordova, a sophomore communication studies major from Draper, is in charge of starting and stopping chants at the games and is involved in the planning that goes on before games. This involves picking themes and games of the week along with setting up for tailgates.

“Every game is such an entertaining place to be, especially when a lot of students show up,” Cordova said.

The members of Stampede brainstorm for events to generate game themes, and they also get input from volunteers for additional ideas. Their meetings are open to anyone, so they can adjust their ideas to students’ interests in themes and food options they would like to see at games.

Stampede operations manager Ciera Aguirre, a sophomore marketing major from Ogden, said she is Cordova’s go-to person for anything the Stampede needs. She helps when it comes to planning tailgates, ensuring food is supplied and managing their volunteers.

Aguirre said she focuses on keeping everyone engaged and keeping the volunteers at games as long as possible.

Along with hyping up the student section with chants, Stampede often does giveaways and raffles for students who attend the games. Students have had the opportunity to win Utah Tech merchandise, Stampede jerseys, and in their most recent giveaway, Disneyland tickets. The giveaway rules involved students attending all three games of the week to be entered in a drawing to win Disneyland tickets.

Stampede admin Jackson McNair, a sophomore general studies major from Hockinson, Washington, said as the admin, he takes care of the budget. His contributions have significance when it comes to games where items are being given away. As a member of Stampede, he also helps with game day preparations and making sure people are ready to “be loud.”

Promoting the games and giveaways encourages a big turnout among students. Posting on the Stampede’s social media is how they keep students engaged and get them excited about the events.

Stampede social media manager Allison Park, a sophomore marketing major from Riverton, said her job is to highlight the game of the week and make posts leading up to the game. This includes reels and information about the giveaways. She said they want to get students excited for athletic events they maybe wouldn’t have attended otherwise, so they’ll want to come back.

“The team is awesome, and everyone at UTSA has always just been so kind and welcoming,” Park said. “It really is a great place to be.”

The Stampede has some rowdy times. Aguirre said a couple of her favorite games with Stampede were storming the football field after the homecoming game last year and storming the court after a basketball win.

Cordova said, “You always want to show out for the home team.”