OPINION | Beware of these frightfully awful Halloween costumes

Costumes that are food-themed, inflatable and racist are among some of the worst Halloween costumes to exist. This is likely because of the lack of creativity with the food costumes, the limited mobility in the inflatable costumes, and the self-explanatory offensiveness of the racist costumes. Mia Tom | Sun News Daily

Imagine you are going to a party this Halloween. The room is crowded, and you keep bumping into people. The room is 10 times hotter than it should be. You see someone wearing an awful costume with no thought put into it, and the sight of it makes you want to question their thought process. What costume is it?

The worst Halloween costumes are the ones that make you cringe or don’t even make sense. If you are going to dress up as any of these things for Halloween this year, think again, or maybe don’t dress up at all.

Offensive and racist costumes

When I go to Chaos and see someone wearing a costume that is offensive, I want to barf. This is not only cringe-worthy, but it is something that is going to bite you in the back in 10 years. Rethink dressing up as Pocahontas or Rasta if this is not your culture or ethnicity. You are offending and humiliating many people because of racial and ethnic stereotypes. Not cool. Stick to something else this year.

There are so many different costume ideas out there, and being racist is not one of them.

Blow up costumes

Inflatable costumes are also known as the bane of my existence. They are cool for five seconds until you are trying to talk to the person inside, and you can’t understand them. Even worse, you are trying to walk around and accidentally get knocked over by a dinosaur running through the room.

Can we also talk about how expensive they are? These costumes average around $60 for a cheap piece of plastic. I don’t think so. I would rather spend that money on a good costume that isn’t hot and won’t continuously bump into people.

Don’t get me wrong. These ideas seem cool at first until you are bumping into everyone, and the room gets 10 degrees hotter. The end result is everyone being annoyed, and you regretting your decision. Are these costumes really necessary this year? I think not.

Food costumes

The classic avocado and toast, ketchup and mustard, and so many other food combos are one of the most cliche Halloween costumes. These turn into the same problem as the inflatable costumes. They are hot, big and always in the way.

Also, if you are dressed up as a ketchup bottle and walk away from the hotdog, you look silly as a plain bottle of ketchup. The same goes for a hotdog. Don’t be the hotdog this Halloween.

There are so many cool duo costumes you could be. Barbie and Ken, Tinkerbell and Wendy, angel and devil, and the list goes on. Be a costume that shows your personality and is creative, unlike a food option.

This year, think outside the box. Try something new. Don’t go straight to some of the worst costumes ever. At the end of the day, Halloween is supposed to be a fun holiday to celebrate. Don’t ruin it by wearing an uncreative, offensive or unnecessary costume.