Rules of thumb apply inside elevators

Being crammed in a tight metal box with a dozen strangers isn’t comfortable by any means, but there are some people who take making riding in an elevator uncomfortable to a whole new level.

“You always get that one person who is never courteous,” said Christopher Smith, a junior CIT major from Salt Lake City. “It’s like it’s their mission in life to make elevator rides annoying.”

Whether you’re the person who makes the journey between floors unbearable or just an innocent bystander, here are three helpful tips you can remember to avoid the annoying situations in elevators.

Talking and singing

There is almost nothing more annoying than people who get on elevators and talk loudly, as if passengers in the car wants to hear and listen to their conversations. Believe me, the other elevator users do not care about your cat, your boyfriend, or anything else you may be chattering on about.

Taking that into mind, you should be considerate. Talk softly, and do not assume everyone in the car cares about what you are saying. Avoid conversations with lewd jokes or anything else that might offend someone nearby. Singing, humming and whistling are generally discouraged. If you are wearing headphones, they should be turned down to a level that cannot be heard by other passengers.

“I absolutely hate it when people are talking loudly,” Smith said. “I can handle it if they’re whispering, though. Singing is just a general no-no.”

Touching and Closeness

Have you ever been riding in a non-crowded elevator and a stranger thinks that he or she needs to be standing right by you? I have. It was uncomfortable, awkward, and in all honesty, made me a bit suspicious. 

If you’re in a crowded elevator, it’s different—you’re bound to touch someone accidentally. If this happens, just apologize. If you board an elevator with your significant other, keep touching limited to hand-holding. Do not engage in a public display of affection while there are other passengers present.

“This one time, I caught two people at a hotel practically having sex in the elevator,” said Amanda Rodriguez, a freshman nursing major from Seattle. “Not only was it extremely awkward, but it was also inconvenient; I ended up having to wait for another elevator.”

Crowded Elevator

I absolutely hate it when people try to cram into the already crowded elevator. You always get that one person whose definition of crowded differs from yours and everyone else’s currently on that elevator.     

To determine whether you should board the car, determine if there is enough room for you. As a rule of thumb, there should be room for two people for every person who is attempting to board to avoid a cramped elevator.

During high traffic times, you may have to board a car that is crowded. If there is not a verbal invitation to board, the passengers may welcome you by making room for you. Consider that an invitation to board. 

“There have been a couple of times when there’s only been room for one person, but two or three will get on anyway,” said Ali Goulding, a freshman general education major from St. George. “I hate that. It’s always cramped, and it’s majorly uncomfortable.”

These tips seem obvious, but you’d be surprised by how many people don’t use them. Remembering these tips will help you make the world a better place, one elevator ride at a time.