Graduates need to be focus of 2018 commencement

There’s nothing more satisfying in college than the day you graduate.

You can finally kiss the in-between goodbye and say hello to being a full-fledged adult in the workforce. Graduation is the most important ceremony/celebration for an institution, but it sure doesn’t feel that way with this year’s commencement at Dixie State University.

With graduation set at 8 a.m., this year’s graduates have to be ready and on campus by 7:15 a.m. 

That’s way too early. 

College students sleep through their 8 a.m. classes; how do you expect us to wake up and look presentable by that time?

Having graduation at 8 a.m. also makes it inconvenient for family members traveling to watch their loved one graduate. This means they either need to travel extremely early in the morning or spend more money on hotels.

Graduation will also be outside this year in the Trailblazer Stadium. While I sure do love warmer weather and the beauty of St. George during spring time, sitting in the sun for hours and graduation gowns do not go together. And sweat doesn’t make for memorable graduation pictures either. 

Also, have you ever seen women in heels walk across turf? I didn’t think so. 

I appreciate DSU’s diligence to the institution’s growth with new infrastructure, but does graduation have to be the time officials show off their big, fancy stadium? I doubt most graduates will even step foot in that stadium again after graduation. There’s no need for this year’s graduates to be the institution’s guinea pigs. 

Although officials say the stadium will be complete in time for graduation, after seeing the delays in construction for Campus View Suites and Vintage at Tabernacle, I don’t have much faith.

Baccalaureate and associate graduates will also be combined this year – that’s 1,762 names to read all during the same ceremony. 

Students getting their associates are important, but it would be gratifying for the students who are receiving their bachelor’s to be separated and acknowledged from the rest. We persevered for four years; we deserve our own ceremony.  

Although I’m disappointed in the way graduation is set up, I will gladly walk and celebrate the four years of college I endured to receive my diploma. I just hope in the future DSU will put its student’s needs above anything else.