St. George heat doesn’t prevent students from enjoying pumpkin spice season

Pumpkin cookies were amongst the other popular fall treats around campus. Carlie Gillis | Sun News Daily

It’s fall time in the U.S., and you know what that means, pumpkin spice.

Whether your favorite is a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks or a classic pumpkin chocolate chip cookie, we can all agree fall treats have a hold on society. There’s nothing like the time of year when there is so much pumpkin spice going around that you can practically smell it in the air. You can walk in to any Smith’s Marketplace, Harmons, Walmart or Target to get your fall treat fix.

So, what is it about pumpkin spice? Is it the nostalgia, the aesthetic or the idea of it? Well, according to a study done by a Boston-based psychologist, the brain associates the smell and taste of pumpkin spice with warm feelings of fall and spending time with family and friends.

Even though St. George is quite hot in the fall, students agree that it is never too early to celebrate pumpkin spice season. Here are what Utah Tech University students love to eat around this time of the year.

Iced chai with pumpkin spice

The classic pumpkin-flavored Starbucks drink comes back around every August just in time to start celebrating back to school and fall. In fact, Starbucks sells about 20 million pumpkin spice lattes each year, and they’ve sold over 600 million since 2003 when the infamous pumpkin spice drink was released.

“My favorite fall treat is an iced chai with sweet cream pumpkin cold foam because it has good memories of going to get it with my friends,” said Ally Stoller, a freshman biology major from Camas, Washington.

You can make your own pumpkin spice latte, chai or Frappuccino at home by adding pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree to your usual drink of choice. Starbucks, Coffee mate, Califia farms, and Dunkin’ Donuts all have their own pumpkin spice creamer in dairy and non-dairy options.

Pumpkin pie

Pumpkin pie recipes date back to the early 19th century before ever becoming a classic part of a Thanksgiving dinner; however, this pie has become one of the most versatile pies and is a way to celebrate any fall holiday. Pillsbury has several pumpkin recipes including a jack-o-lantern pumpkin pie as a Halloween specialty.

Rie Briggs, a freshman biology major from Springville, said, “My favorite fall treat is pumpkin pie because my grandma always makes it at her house, my cousins come over, and we always eat it for Halloween.”

Whether you enjoy your pumpkin pie homemade, from Costco for $6.99, Kneaders Bakery & Cafe, or the St. George small business Croshaw’s Gourmet Pies, we can all agree on the nostalgia this fall speciality brings.

Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

All good recipes come with a good story and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are not the exception.

Maddison Watts, a freshman biology major from South Jordan, said: “I really like pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I really like them because my mom absolutely hates them, so growing up, I would always go buy them and force her to eat them with me, and now I just have really good memories of making my mom throw up pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.”

Even if you don’t like the infamous fall cookie, the smell that comes from cooking them should be enough for you to appreciate their beauty. Utah’s specialty grocery store, Harmons, has pumpkin chocolate chip cookies year round, but nothing can beat baking a quality homemade dozen in the comfort of your own home.

Sweet potato pie

Sweet potato pie may not be as popular, and if you’ve never heard of this unique vegetable pie, don’t worry. This pie is very similar to a pumpkin pie but with a twist. It is commonly served as a side dish and a dessert; however, one of the more popular ways to make sweet potato pie is by toasting marshmallows on top.

Ashlyn Parish, a freshman biology major from Fort Worth, Texas, said, “My favorite fall treat is definitely sweet potato pie. My mom makes it every year around this time, and it is definitely the best pie there is.”

If this pie is a classic tradition in your family, consider yourself lucky because sweet potatoes provide you with more nutritional value than a pumpkin pie.