Utah Tech Women’s basketball team goes out with a win for its senior night

The Utah Tech University women’s basketball team wins a neck-in-neck game against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. Sydney Johnson | Sun News Daily

Senior night for the Utah Tech University women’s basketball team Feb. 18 ended with a 89-86 win against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.

Showcasing the pink jerseys once again, the Trailblazer’s starting line-up featured:

• Averi Papa, a sophomore history major from St. George
  • Breaunna Gillen, a senior exercise science major from West Jordan
  • Amber Kartchner, a redshirt freshman management major from Logan
  • Emily Isaacson, a redshirt junior recreation and sports management major from Perry
  • Maggie McCord, a senior criminal justice major from South Jordan

UTRGV won the tip-off and scored the first points of the game. Brooke Vance, a junior accounting major from Salem, scored the first two points for the Trailblazers four minutes into the first quarter.

As the Trailblazers continued the fight, they got ahead of UTRGV with a minute and a half left in the first quarter, ending the quarter at 18-15.

UTRGV tied up the game at the start of the second quarter with both teams at 18 points; however, Utah Tech ended the first half ahead 39-38.

The senior Trailblazers recognized for the team’s senior night were:

• Gillen
  • McCord
  • Taylia Stimpson, a senior recreation and sports management major from Paul, Idaho
  • Talia Sireni, a senior communication studies major from Surrey, British Columbia

Finishing the third quarter slightly behind at 64-68, the Trailblazers came into the final quarter reenergized reaching 70 points in the first four minutes of the quarter. If you were in attendance at the game, you can head to ROCTACO for a free taco thanks to the Trailblazers.

The Trailblazers had their last timeout of the game with 12 seconds left in the final quarter. The neck-in-neck game continued with each team passing each other up on the scoreboard, but the Trailblazers came out on top 89-86.

Sydney Johnson | Sun News Daily

The game also ended with Isaacson matching her season high of points scored in one game.

As the game’s top scorer with 24 points, Gillen also passed the milestone of 1,000 points scored in her career.

Come cheer on the Trailblazers at their final home game Feb. 28 at 7 p.m.