OPINION | Las Vegas is not worth the gamble for travelers

Las Vegas Blvd. is about two hours from St. George and is a popular weekend getaway for students and families. Angel Wood | Sun News Daily

Two hours away from St. George lies a student’s version of the Big Apple, but a quick trip to Sin City should be reconsidered. 

Road trips are exciting and a great way for students to escape from the stresses of life while spending time with friends and family. Due to the close proximity of Las Vegas to St. George, the city is often the first idea that comes to mind for my friends and other students when considering where to travel. However, the closest option isn’t always the best, and in this case, it is the absolute worst. 

Las Vegas is the place to go if people are looking for trouble. Its nickname alone explains what the city is all about. The city’s bright lights are blinding because around every corner lurks the harsh reality of addiction, crime and overpopulation that plague its inhabitants. 

Addiction 

The city of sin is full of drinking, smoking, gambling and pornography. Many of the city’s residents are already addicted to one of the above, and its visitors are only heading down the same route. 

The city’s main attractions, which include its many casinos and bars, are open 24/7 providing endless opportunities for visitors to drink excessively and gamble away their money. 

Smoking is also permitted in many of these places, and the entire city reeks of cigarette smoke. The harmful effects of secondhand smoke, including heart disease and lung cancer, should be enough to draw visitors away from the city. 

Las Vegas is known for its adult entertainment industry which includes strip clubs and pornography shown throughout the many posters, handouts and billboards that cover the city.

The prevalence of these problems can lead to addictions and destructive behaviors which can have long-lasting consequences

For those who struggle with addiction, visiting Las Vegas can be triggering for those looking to recover, so if people care about their health and well-being, Las Vegas is not the place to go. 

Crime

Las Vegas is among the most crime-ridden cities in the United States.

Because of its high crime rate, the city is not a safe destination for visitors. The list of the highest committed crimes in the city includes: 

• larceny
  • burglary
  • motor vehicle theft
  • aggravated assault
  • robbery

During my last visit to Las Vegas, what was supposed to be a fun, memorable trip with my family was indeed memorable–just not in a good way. 

Upon returning to my vehicle after visiting a popular attraction, I started my car and was startled by the sound of a motorcycle revving its engine. Only it wasn’t a motorcycle, it was my own car. My catalytic converter had been stolen, and what added about $100 to a thief’s pocket cost me over $1,000 to repair. 

Catalytic converters are stolen by the thousands in Las Vegas, and the city saw a 28% increase of the crime in 2022.

Visiting Las Vegas is not worth the risk as the possibility of becoming a victim of a crime is very high. The common saying “it couldn’t happen to me” may very well happen to anyone. 

Overpopulation 

Although Las Vegas may seem big, it is only twice the size of St. George. As of 2023, St. George has about 93,000 residents, so it would make sense that Las Vegas has twice that many residents, right?

That’s incorrect. Las Vegas has about six times as many residents as St. George coming in at around 635,000 inhabitants

To add on to that number, according to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority website, about 40 million people visited Las Vegas in 2022. 

With these numbers, it is safe to say the city is packed to the brim year round. This makes the city a completely undesirable place to visit because of the overcrowding, long lines and traffic congestion located throughout the entire city.

Traffic congestion is a major issue caused by the overpopulation of locals and visitors. Although locals may be familiar with the traffic, visitors are not which means car accidents are bound to happen. 

According to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, there were over 20,000 collisions in 2021 with an average of 55 car accidents per day. Although Las Vegas visitors are more likely to walk the Strip than drive it, pedestrians are often the victims of the many car accidents that occur making Las Vegas unsafe.

Las Vegas’s overpopulation, high crime rates and addictive atmosphere make the city a horrible place to visit, but luckily, there are alternatives for students looking for road trip ideas. 

If you’re looking for a quick getaway, look toward the alternatives because Las Vegas will leave you feeling disgusted, regretful, disappointed and without your car parts. The city of sin makes St. George look like paradise, and although what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas, students should not stay in the city that never sleeps.